Can you open a Lucene issue (against the new grouping module) for
this?

I think this is a compelling use case that we should try to support.

In theory, with the "general" two-pass grouping collector, this should
be possible, but will require three passes, and we also must
generalize the 2nd pass collector to accept arbitrary collectors for
each group (today it's "hardwired" to sort-by-SortField collectors).

I suspect coupling the single-pass grouping collector (currently still
a patch on LUCENE-3129) with the two-pass collector could also work.

Also, can you describe more details about the two fields you want to
group/collapse by?

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com