If you are talking about indexed shapes, then there is an attribute on the
field type definition in your schema called "distErrPct".  Reasonable values
are between .01 and .20, in my opinion.  The default is .025, but try setting
it to .01.  For points, use the "maxDetailKm" parameter, which is the kilometer
detail level.  By default, that parameter is .001 -- 1 meter.

If you are talking about your query shape, then this same parameter can be
supplied as a request parameter.  Again, the default is .025. The
RecursiveGridFieldType can handle infinite query side precision, so you can
supply 0 and still get reasonable performance. However if your indexing side is
a certain precision, then there's little point in using more precision on the
query side since in-effect it's as accurate as your index side.

If you're wondering more about the meaning of distErrPct, see this snippet from
SpatialArgs.java:
  /**
   * The fraction of the distance from the center of the query shape to its
nearest edge that is considered acceptable
   * error. The algorithm for computing the distance to the nearest edge is
actually a little different. It normalizes
   * the shape to a square given it's bounding box area:
   * <pre>sqrt(shape.bbox.area)/2</pre>
   * And the error distance is beyond the shape such that the shape is a
minimum shape.
   */
  public Double getDistPrecision() {

~ David