dismax is a fairly narrow-use parser. By that I mean it was created
to solve a specific issue. It has some pronounced warts as you've
discovered.

edismax is the preferred parser if you have access to it. I'd just
ignore dismax if you have access to edismax. There's been some
talk of deprecating dismax in favor of edismax in fact.

But if you really want to know, see:

Best
Erick