On 7/31/2011 8:18 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
the syntax isn't really the hard part.  where things get tricky is in the
internals of th SolrIndexSearcher and SearchHandler so that you cache
those "fqu" params independently and then union the results, particularly
when those fq/fqu params need to be part of the cache key for the
queryResultCache ... a lot of little changes to the internals.

It's been discussed at a high level a sporadically over the years, but no
one has had the drive/energy/knowledge to dig into the guts and make it
work.

Having built several custom faceting components over the years (that apply
special biz rules) i can tell you that generating DocSets and then
computing unions/intersections is easy and efficient (the
SolrIndexSearcher/SolrCache/DocSet APIs are really straight forward), but
anytime you want to then use that DocSet to constrain a DocList ...  you
run into complications.

Thanks for the reply. I never assumed implementation would be trivial. If it were, someone would have done it already. Hopefully someone will be inspired to figure out the complications and work through them.

When I brought this up last week, I couldn't find a Jira issue describing it, so I was considering creating one. Today I tried a different search and managed to locate SOLR-1223. I've added a small note and voted for it.

Shawn