Not so much that it's a corner case in the sense of being unusual neccesarily (I'm not sure), it's just something that fundamentally doesn't fit well into lucene's architecture.

I'm not sure that filing a JIRA will be much use, it's really unclear how one would get lucene to do this, it would be signficant work to do, and it's unlikely any Solr developer is going to decide to spend signficant time on it unless they need it for their own clients.

On 8/3/2011 11:40 AM, Olson, Ron wrote:
*Sigh*...I had thought maybe reversing it would work, but that would require
creating a whole new index, on a separate core, as the existing index is used
for other purposes. Plus, given the volume of data, that would be a big deal,
update-wise. What would be better would be to remove that particular sort
option-button on the webpage. ;)

I'll create a Jira issue, but in the meanwhile I'll have to come up with something else.
I guess I didn't realize how much of a "corner case" this problem is. :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Smiley, David W. [mailto:dsmi...@mitre.org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 10:26 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Strategies for sorting by array, when you can't sort by array?

Hi Ron.
This is an interesting problem you have. One idea would be to create an index
with the entity relationship going in the other direction.  So instead of one
to many, go many to one.  You would end up with multiple documents with varying
names but repeated parent entity information -- perhaps simply using just an ID
which is used as a lookup. Do a search on this name field, sorting by a
non-tokenized variant of the name field. Use Result-Grouping to consolidate
multiple matches of a name to the same parent document. This whole idea might
very well be academic since duplicating all the parent entity information for
searching on that too might be a bit much than you care to bother with. And I
don't think Solr 4's join feature addresses this use case. In the end, I think
Solr could be modified to support this, with some work. It would make a good
feature request in JIRA.

~ David Smiley