The development of the field collapse feature is a long and confusing story.
The main point is that SOLR-236 was never going to scale
and the performance in general was bad. A new approach was needed.
This was implemented in SOLR-1682 and added to the trunk (4.0-dev)
around September last year. Later in LUCENE-1421 the code was moved
from Solr to Lucene as a module / contrib. After that the grouping module
and contrib were wired into Solr 3.3 and 4.0-dev in SOLR-2524 and SOLR-2564.

Field collapsing is not gone, but it is just a form of result grouping. The
core
SOLR-236 feature is in 3.3 / 4.0-dev. Other features that SOLR-236 offered
will
eventually get in. Like for example post grouping facets.
The http parameters and response have changed without keeping it compatible
with
the SOLR-236 patches. I think that isn't a problem since SOLR-236 was
never a committed feature. But a widely used feature should never be
attached as a patch
to a Jira issue for 3+ years....