I've posted a similar question few days ago, but our needs have gone a bit
further.

I need to develop two plugins which need to be persistent throu the whole
indexing and updating process

The first one need to open a connection to a mysql instance (and query that
connection during every document processing)

The second one uses a java library (classifier4j) which is a Bayesian
categorization system (and doesn't talk to a db). This one learns while
matching, so the object needs to be created at the very beginning of the
indexing and should be available for all the documents (i cannot create the
object for every object, because i'd miss the learning feature)

For the first one i could use a dataimporthandler, but i'm not sure about
it: i don't need to import the whole db, but just the occurencies matching a
particular condition for each document. About the second one, i'm blind.

Is there a place in solr where i can create the connection object and the
categorizer object before everything else, and have them available to all
documents?

Thanks all in advance!