@Darren: I feel that the question itself is misleading. Creating
shards is meant to separate out the data ... not keep the exact same
copy of it.

I think the two node setup that was attempted by Sam mislead him and
us into thinking that configuring two nodes which are to be named
"shard1" ... somehow means that they are instantly replicated too ...
this is not the case! I can see how this misunderstanding can develop
as I too was confused until Yury cleared it up.

@Sam: If you are interested in performing a quick exercise to
understand the pieces involved for replication rather than sharding
... perhaps this link would be of help in taking you through it:
http://pulkitsinghal.blogspot.com/2011/09/setup-solr-master-slave-replication.html

- Pulkit