Not sure offhand - but things will be funky if you don't specify the correct
numShards.

The instance to shard assignment should be using numShards to assign. But then
the hash to shard mapping actually goes on the number of shards it finds
registered in ZK (it doesn't have to, but really these should be equal).

So basically you are saying, I want 3 partitions, but you are only starting up
2 nodes, and the code is just not happy about that I'd guess. For the system to
work properly, you have to fire up at least as many servers as numShards.

What are you trying to do? 2 partitions with no replicas, or one partition with
one replica?

In either case, I think you will have better luck if you fire up at least as
many servers as the numShards setting. Or lower the numShards setting.

This is all a work in progress by the way - what you are trying to test should
work if things are setup right though.

- Mark

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com