Hoss, I can't see why Network IO is the issue as the shards and the front
end SOLR resided on the same server. I said "resided", because I got rid of
the front end (which according to my measurements, was taking at least as
much time for merging as it took to find the actual data in the shards) and
shards. Now I have only one shard having all the data. Filter cache tuning
also helped to reduce the amount of evictions to a minimum.

Dmitry

--
Regards,

Dmitry Kan