From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerick...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:44 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solr, SQL Server's LIKE

SQLs "like" is usually handled with ngrams if you want
*stuff* kinds of searches. Wildcards are "interesting"
in Solr.

Things Solr handles that aren't easy in SQL
Phrases, phrases with slop, stemming,
synonyms. And, especially, some kind
of relevance ranking.

But Solr does NOT do the things SQL is best at,
things like joins etc. Each has it's sweet spot
and trying to make one do all the functions of the
other is fraught with places to go wrong.

Not a lot of help, but free text searching is what Solr is
all about, so if your problem maps into that space,
it's a great tool!

Best
Erick