I had a similar problem for a similar task. And in my case merging the
results from two shards turned out to be a culprit. If you can logically
store your data just in one shard, your faceting should become faster. Size
wise it should not be a problem for SOLR.

Also, you didn't say anything about the facet.limit value, cache
parameters, usage of filter queries. Some of these can be interconnected.

Dmitry

--
Regards,

Dmitry Kan