> All documents of a group exist on a single shard, there are no cross-shard
> groups.

You only have to partition documents by group when the groupCount and some
other features need to be accurate. For the "matches" this is not
necessary. The matches are summed up during merging the shared responses.

I can't reproduce the error you are describing on a small local setup I
have here. I have two Solr cores with a simple schema. Each core has 3
documents. When grouping the matches element returns 6. I'm running on a
trunk that I have updated 30 minutes ago. Can you try to isolate the
problem by testing with a small subset of your data?

Martijn