Erick, thanks for pointing that out. I was going to say in my original post
that it is almost like some limit on max documents got violated all of a
sudden, but the rest of the symptoms didn't seem to quite match. But now
that I think about it, the problem probably happened at 2B (corresponding
exactly to the size of the signed int space) as my ID space in the database
has roughly 85% holes and the problem probably happened when the ID hit
around 2.4B.

It is still odd that indexing appears to proceed normally and the select
queries "know" which IDs are used because the error happens only for queries
with non-empty results, e.g., searching for an ID that doesn't exist gives a
valid "0 numResponses" response. Is this because solr uses 'long' or more
for indexing (given that the schema supports long) but not in the querying
modules?

I hadn't used solr sharding because I really needed "rolling" partitions,
where I keep a small index of recent documents and throw the rest into a
slow "archive" index. So maintaining the smaller instance2 (usually < 50M)
and replicating it if needed was my homebrewed sharding approach. But I
guess it is time to shard the archive after all.

AV