Hello Mikhail,
                        Thank you for the reply. In terms of user
experience, I want to spread out the products from same brand farther from
each other, *atleast* in the first 50-100 results we display. I am thinking
about two different approaches as solution.

                      1. For first few results, display one top scoring
product of a manufacturer  (For a given field, display the top scoring
results of the unique field values for the first N matches) . This N could
be either a percentage relative to total matches or a configurable absolute
value.
                      2. Enforce a penalty on  the score for the results
that have duplicate field values. The penalty can be enforced such a way
that, the results with higher scores will not be affected as against the
ones with lower score.

Both of the solutions can be implemented while sorting the documents with
TopFieldCollector / TopScoreDocCollector.

Does this answer your question?  Please let me know if you have any more
questions.

Thanks,
Karthick