>  - How often, in your experience, and why, would solr crash?

Not very often. Typically if your heap is too small, you'll end up going OOM.

>  - If I kill solr master and slave, usually do I need to also delete the
> indexes? Or everything should be fine upon restarting?

Restarts are fine. Order shouldn't matter.

>  - If I want to upgrade solr master and slave, or patch them, is there a way
> that the services feeding from them will not fail?

You'd need at least a load balanced pair of servers serving results to
your application. In theory, if you have enough RAM, you could run
them on the same machine, although you'd lose some redundancy that
way.

I guess another way is to borrow and  temporarily cut over to another
system and then cut back, but I'd really recommend having two full
time systems if you want to preserve uptime overall.

Michael Della Bitta

Appinions
18 East 41st Street, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10017-6271