I know that Solr web-enables a Lucene index, but I'm trying to figure out
what other things Solr offers over Lucene.  On the Solr features list it
says "Solr uses the Lucene search library and extends it!", but what exactly
are the extensions from the list and what did Lucene give you?  Also if I
have an index built through Solr is there a non-HTTP way to search that
index?  Because solr4j essentially just makes HTTP requests correct?

Some features Im particularly interested in are:
Geospatial Search
Highlighting
Dynamic Fields
Near Real-Time Indexing