Hi Roman,

If you're looking for regression testing then
https://github.com/sul-dlss/rspec-solr might be worth looking at. If you're not
a ruby shop, doing something similar in another language shouldn't be to hard.

The basic idea is that you setup a set of tests like

"If the query is X, then the document with id Y should be in the first 10
results"
"If the query is S, then a document with title T should be the first result"
"If the query is P, then a document with author Q should not be in the first 10
result"

and that you run these whenever you tune your scoring formula to ensure that
you haven't introduced unintended effects. New ideas/requirements for your
relevance ranking should always result in writing new tests - that will
probably fail until you tune your scoring formula. This is certainly no magic
bullet, but it will give you some confidence that you didn't make things worse.
And - in my humble opinion - it also gives you the benefit of discouraging you
from tuning your scoring just for fun. To put it bluntly: if you cannot write
up a requirement in form of a test, you probably have no need to tune your
scoring.

Regards,

--
Steffen