All,

Thank you for your comments and links, I will explore them.

I think that many people are facing similar questions - when they tune
their search engines. Especially in Solr/Lucene community. While the
requirements will be different, ultimately it is what they can do w
lucene/solr that guides such efforts. As an example, let me use this

https://github.com/romanchyla/r-ranking-fun/blob/master/plots/raw/test-plot-showing-factors.pdf?raw=true

The graph shows you the effect of different values of qf parameter. This
usecase is probably very common, so somebody already had probably done st
similar

In the real world, I would like to: 1) change something, 2) collect
(clicks) data 3) apply statistical test (of my choice) to see if changes
had the effect (be it worse or better) and see if that change is
statistically significant. But do we have to write these tools from scratch
again?

All your comments are very valuable and useful. But I am still wondering if
there are more tools one could use to tune the search. More comments
welcome!

Thank you!

  roman