Tangential to the issue you raise is that this is a huge tlog. It indicates that
you aren't doing a hard commit (openSearcher=false) very often. That
operation will truncate your tlog which should speed recovery/startup.
You're also chewing up some memory with a tlog that size since pointers
to the tlog are kept for each document.

This comment doesn't address your comment about the change to
ZkController, I'll leave that to someone who knows the code.

Best
Erick