On 5/24/2013 8:56 AM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 5/24/2013 8:25 AM, Saikat Kanjilal wrote:
>> Anyways would love to hear thoughts and usecases that are similar from the
>> community.
>
> Your use-case sounds a lot like what loggly was doing back in 2010.
>
> http://loggly.com/videos/lucene-revolution-2010/

While I was writing that, I accidentally pressed the key combination
that told my mail client to send the message before I was done.

Loggly created a new shard every five minutes, and merged older shards
to longer time intervals.  I personally don't need this capability, but
it is a useful pattern.  I was wondering recently whether a custom
document router could be built for SolrCloud that automatically manages
time-divided shards - creating, merging, and if you're not keeping the
data forever, deleting.

Thanks,
Shawn