Would collection aliasing help here? From Solr 4.2 release notes:
Collection Aliasing. Got time based data? Want to re-index in a
temporary collection and then swap it into production? Done. Stay
tuned for Shard Aliasing.

Regards,
  Alex.
at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)