By and large, stored fields are pretty irrelevant for resource
consumption _except_ for
disk space consumed. Sharded systems work fine, the
stored data is stored in the index files (*.fdt and *.fdx) files in
each segment on each shard.

But you haven't told us anything about your data. How much are
you talking about here? 100s of G? Terabytes? Other than disk
space, You may well be anticipating problems that don't exist...

Now, when _returning_ documents the fields must be read, so
there is some resource consumption there which you can
mitigate with lazy field loading. But this is usually just a few docs
so often isn't a problem.

Best
Erick