Shawn Heisey [s...@elyograg.org]:
> This is awesome! Concrete info is better than speculation.

Thank you.

> I think it might be time to split the SSD section of
> SolrPerformanceProblems into its own wiki page and expand it.

That might be a good idea. It would also be interesting to try and measure a
mixed read/write environment.

> Have you come across any way yet to have RAID1 with TRIM support,
> especially on Linux? RAID10 would be even better.  This is the hurdle that
> keeps me from getting serious about SSD.

According to Wikipedia there is some support, but I do not know the details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM#RAID_issues

Searching a bit, it seems that TRIM is supported with lvm, which makes it
possible to have a single logical volume spanning multiple SSDs. This does not
have the bulk-speed benefit of a striped RAID-0 setup, but the TRIM-win might
make up for that.

It would be interesting to see how fast (or slow) SSD performance degenerates
when updating a Solr index. Having large bulk writes should be quite agreeable
with SSDs.

Regards,
Toke Eskildsen