Sorry, i thought it was obvious. The links that are broken are the links that
are returned in the search results. Using the example in the documentation I
mentioned below, to load a word doc via
        curl
"http://localhost:8983/solr/update/extract?literal.id=doc1&commit=true"; -F
"myfile=@myworddoc.doc"

the broken link that shows up in the search results is
http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/doc1

so I just need to know where in the solr config to be able to handle requests
when the URL points to collection/some_doc