I have some custom code that uses the top-level FieldCache (e.g.,
FieldCache.DEFAULT.getLongs(reader, "foobar", false)). I'd like to redesign
this to use the per-segment FieldCaches so that re-opening a Searcher is
fast(er). In most cases, I've got a docId and I want to get the value for a
particular single-valued field for that doc.

Is there a good place to look to see example code of per-segment FieldCache
use? I've been looking at PerSegmentSingleValuedFaceting, but hoping there
might be something less confusing :)

Also thinking DocValues might be a better way to go for me... is there any
documentation or example code for that?

-Michael