Where do you get the docid from? Usually its best to just look at the whole
algorithm, e.g. docids come from per-segment readers by default anyway so
ideally you want to access any per-document things from that same
segmentreader.

As far as supporting docvalues, FieldCache API "passes thru" to docvalues
transparently if its enabled for the field.