There's been a lot of action around this recently, this is
a known issue in 4.3.1.

The short form is "it should all be better in Solr 4.4" which
may be out in the next couple of weeks, assuming we
can get agreement.

But look at Solr-4862, 4910, 4982 and related if you want
to see the ugly details.

Best
Erick