Hi all,

What I find very 'sad' is that Lucene/SOLR contain all the necessary
components for handling multi-token synonyms; the Finite State Automaton
works perfectly for matching these items; the biggest problem is IMO the
old query parser which split things on spaces and doesn't know to be
smarter.

THIS IS A LONG-TIME PROBLEM - THERE EXIST SEVERAL WORKING SOLUTIONS (but
none was committed...sigh, we are re-inventing wheel all the time...)

LUCENE-1622
LUCENE-4381
LUCENE-4499

The problem of synonym expansion is more difficult becuase of the parsing -
the default parsers are not flexible and they split on empty space -
recently I have proposed a solution which makes also the multi-token
synonym expansion simple

this is the ticket:

that query parser is able to split on spaces, then look back, do the second
pass to see whether to expand with synonyms - and even discover different
parse paths and construct different queries based on that. if you want to
see some complex examples, look at:
https://github.com/romanchyla/montysolr/blob/master/contrib/adsabs/src/test/org/apache/solr/analysis/TestAdsabsTypeFulltextParsing.java
-
eg. line 373, 483

Lucene/SOLR developers are already doing great work and have much to do -
they need help from everybody who is able to apply patch, test it and
report back to JIRA.

roman