I would also note that the LucidWorks Search query parser implements query-time synonym phrases. I don't know if anybody has anything better than that. Unfortunately, that is proprietary and is kind of a workaround for current Lucene/Solr limitations than a long-term solution.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: dmarini
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:37 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Searching w/explicit Multi-Word Synonym Expansion

iorixxx,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the QueryElevation component. If
it did not require that the target documents be keyed by the unique key
field it would be ideal, but since our Sku field is not the Unique field (we
have an internal id which serves as the key while this is the client's key)
it doesn't seem like it will match unless I make a larger scope change.

Jack,

I agree that out of the box there hasn't been a generalized solution for
this yet. I guess what I'm looking for is confirmation that I've gone as far
as I can properly and from this point need to consider using something like
the HON custom query parser component (which we're leery of using because
from my reading it solves a specific scenario that may overcompensate what
we're attempting to fix). I would personally rather stay IN solr than add
custom .jar files from around the web if at all possible.

Thanks for the replies.

--Dave