First the numShards parameter is only relevant the very first time you
create your collection. It's a little confusing because in the SolrCloud
examples you're getting "collection1" by default. Look further down the
SolrCloud Wiki page, the section titled
"Managing Collections via the Collections API" for creating collections
with a different name.

Either way, either when you run the bootstrap command or when you
create a new collection, that's the only time numShards counts. It's
ignored the rest of the time.

As far as data growing, you need to either
1> create enough shards to handle the eventual size things will be,
sometimes called "oversharding"
or
2> use the splitShard capabilities in very recent Solrs to expand
capacity.

Best
Erick