And do any of the documents have the same <uniqueKey>, which
is usually called "id"? Subsequent adds of docs with the same
<uniqueKey> replace the earlier one.

It's not definitive because it changes as merges happen, old copies
of docs that have been deleted or updated will be purged, but what
does your admin page show for "maxDoc"? If it's more than "numDocs"
then you have duplicate <uniqueKey>s. NOTE: if you optimize
(which you usually shouldn't) then maxDoc and numDocs will be
the same so if you test this don't optimize.

Best,
Erick