Shawn,

I managed to create 8 new cores and the Solr Admin cloud page showed them wonderfully as active replicas.

The only issue I have is what goes into solr.xml (I'm using tomcat)?

Putting
  <core name="..." />

for each of the new cores I created seemed like the reasonable approach but when I tested a tomcat restart, the distribution was messed up ... for one thing, the cores on the new machine showed up as collections! And tomcat never even made it to accept connections for some reason.

I cleaned everything up with zookepper so my graph looks like it should and I removed that new machine from the distribution (by removing zk attributes) and restarted .. all is well again.

Any idea what could have went wrong on tomcat restart?

thanks.