On 12/24/2013 8:35 AM, David Santamauro wrote:
>> You may have one or more of the SolrCloud 'bootstrap' options on the
>> startup commandline.  The bootstrap options are intended to be used
>> once, in order to bootstrap from a non-SolrCloud setup to a SolrCloud
>> setup.
>
> No, no unnecessary options. I manually bootstrapped a common config.

I have no idea what might be wrong here.

>> Between the Collections API and the CoreAdmin API, you should never need
>> to edit solr.xml (if using the pre-4.4 format) or core.properties files
>> (if using core discovery, available 4.4 and later) directly.
>
> Now this I don't understand. If I have created cores through the
> CoreAdmin API, how is solr.xml affected? If I don't edit it, how does
> SOLR know what cores it has to expose to a distributed collection?

If you are using the old-style solr.xml (which will be supported through
all future 4.x versions, but not 5.0), then core definitions are stored
in solr.xml and the contents of the file are changed by many of the
CoreAdmin API actions.  The Collections API calls the CoreAdmin API on
servers throughout the cloud.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr.xml%20%28supported%20through%204.x%29

If you are using the core discovery format, which was made available in
working form in version 4.4, then solr.xml does NOT contain core
definitions.  The main example in 4.4 and later uses the new format.
Cores are discovered at Solr startup by crawling the filesystem from a
root starting point looking for core.properties files.  In this mode,
solr.xml is fairly static.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Solr.xml%204.4%20and%20beyond
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Core%20Discovery%20%284.4%20and%20beyond%29

Thanks,