Speaking for myself, I avoid using "client apis" like SolrNet, SolrJ and
FAST DSAPI for the simple reason that I feel that the abstractions they
offer are so thin that I may just as well talk directly to the HTTP
interface. Doing that also lets me build web applications that maintain
their own state, which makes for more responsive and more robust
applications (although I'm sure there will be differing opinions on this).