It would be great if an example were available as part of the Solr release. Please file a Jira request. Maybe this could be one of the GSOC (Google Summer of Code) projects, or maybe somebody/everybody could submit their search middleware code as possible examples, attached to the Jira, so that even if these examples are not formally released, at least people can view and copy them.

-- Jack Krupansky

-----Original Message----- From: Alexandre Rafalovitch
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:00 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Solr middle-ware?

Hello,

All the Solr documents talk about not running Solr directly to the
cloud. But I see people keep asking for a thin secure layer in front
of Solr they can talk from JavaScript to, perhaps with some basic
extension options.

Has anybody actually written one? Open source or in a community part
of larger project? I would love to be able to point people at
something.

Is there something particularly difficult about writing one? Does
anybody has a story of aborted attempt or mid-point reversal? I would
like to know.

Regards,
  Alex.
P.s. Personal context: I am thinking of doing a series of lightweight
examples of how to use Solr. Like I did for a book, but with a bit
more depth and something that can actually be exposed to the live web
with live data. I don't want to reinvent the wheel of the thin Solr
middleware.
P.p.s. Though I keep thinking that Dart could make an interesting
option for the middleware as it could have the same codebase on the
server and in the client. Like NodeJS, but with saner syntax.....

at once. Lately, it doesn't seem to be working.  (Anonymous  - via GTD
book)