I had this issue too. timeAllowed only works for a certain phase of the
query. I think that's the 'process' part. However, if the query is taking
time in 'prepare' phase (e.g. I think for wildcards to get all the possible
combinations before running the query) it won't have any impact on that.
You can debug your query and confirm that.

--
Regards,

Salman Akram