From: Eric Iverson <eric.b.iver...@gmail.com>
To: Source forum <sou...@jsoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: [Jsource] Unicode identifiers

We made the decision well more than a decade ago that unicode identifiers
would  be a mistake. That decision was unanimous within Jsoftware at that
time.

It would have been just as easy to add the support then as it is now. Has
anything changed that would make us reconsider?

I can only comment for myself.

There are 3 main reasons I am against it:

1. It is a fringe area and does not warrant the effort it would take - very
little bang for buck.

2. It is deceptively easy at first, but is a slippery slope. As is pretty
much everything with unicode. European accented letters seem like a
no-brainer. Then CJK. Then lots of others. Then lots of special guys. APL
symbols. ETC. Glyphs that look exactly the same on paper, but that are
different code points. This takes thought and (see 1) it just isn't
warranted.

3. Ken left us with many fundamental ideas. One was that notation is a tool
of thought. The correllary is that notation is a way of communication. If
we limit J identifiers as they currently stand then algorithms can be
easily and effectively be communicated around the entire world. Let in
unicode identifiers and this would suffer enormously.

Unicode is for data and the support there is pretty good. It serves no
useful purpose in identifiers and would be a serious impediment to
communication.

For historical reasons the English alphabet has a privileged position in J
identifiers. Perhaps this is wrong in some senses, but it is enormously
practical when it comes to international communications.

I'd be very happy to not talk about this again for another 10 years.