I agree with you completely.

What could be done is sort of have script with names used for J.

Then have a rule script with those names exchanged in a toggle to unicode
set in a table.

So in J the rule is use names.

For display purposes one script version is with the names and another
script those names replaced for those who want the names displayed as
unicode.

J would not have to bother with the unicode and the user can read it in
unicode or names as wanted/needed.

Maybe only translate from names to unicode for display or toggle between
the two displays.

Just create a separate display tool for scripts.

The unicode script not valid in ijx only as ijs (possibly named iju or ijsu)