That specific issue is pretty easy to fix.

For example,

export jplatform=`uname |awk '{print tolower($0)}'`

could become

export jplatform=${jplatform-`uname |awk '{print tolower($0)}'`}

That way, jplatform could be predefined for cross compilation:

jplatform=Darwin make

But, of course, for this to make sense, the script itself would have
to work on multiple platforms in the first place...

--
Raul