Khartoum’s aggression motivated by resources - Machar
Article
Comments (78)
email Email
print Print
pdfSave
separation
increase
decrease
separation
separation
May 1, 2012 (JUBA) – Khartoum’s aggression against South Sudan,
according to its vice president, Riek Machar, is driven by the greed.
Machar said Khartoum intends to annex areas of South Sudan which are
rich in resources.
JPEG - 10.3 kb
South Sudan’s VP Riek Machar (Reuters)
Juba and Khartoum are embroiled in an escalating military conflict in
their borderlands.
The accusations were made at a conference organised by the Popular
Committee for National Mobilization in Support of the Army in Juba on
Tuesday.
Machar reiterated Juba’s claim that the oil-rich Heglig area is part
of South Sudan, showing an unidentified map to the audience by way of
proof. Khartoum claims Heglig is part of its territory which was
invaded by the South Sudan army (SPLA).
Fighting between SPLA and the Sudan Armed Forces (SAF) in Heglig began
around the end of March.
The SPLA claimed it was responding to SAF air and ground attacks in
Unity state and repelled them all the way to Heglig. SAF claims the
attack was unprovoked. Both sides claim the other has damaged the oil
infrastructure in the area.
Machar claimed that Khartoum’s attempted annexing of Heglig began in
2004 when the adviser to the president of Sudan, Nafie Ali Nafie,
directed the former governor of Unity state, Joseph Nguen Monytuil, to
not include Heglig as part of Unity state, which Monytuil resisted.
Machar reiterated Juba’s position; that it is prepared for a peaceful
resolution to the conflict but has a right to self-defence.
He also claimed Juba has a right to liberate the territories it
considers to be occupied by SAF, including Heglig.
Machar denied Khartoum’s claim that the Permanent Court of Arbitration
(PCA) in The Hague ruled that Heglig is within its borders.
He also accused Khartoum of not wanting the conduct of a referendum
which was scheduled to take place in Abyei; another oil-producing
region. The referendum, which was to afford residents of the area the
right to vote on the statehood, was scheduled for January 2011, is yet
to take place.
Despite claims that the SPLA incurred heavy loses in its conflict with
SAF in Heglig, Machar said Juba’s forces withdrew in response to the
calls of the international community.
SPLA claims to have captured equipment, including more than 120
vehicles and a large volume of fuel, from the area on April 20.
Post-independence talks between the two nations, on issues including
border demarcation, broke down on March 26 when Kiir claimed that the
military escalation was provoked by SAF’s coordinated aerial attacks
on Jau and Pan Akuach followed by a ground forces assault against
another area called Teshwin.
Machar, who is also the chairman of the National Mobilization
Committee, added that South Sudan previously ignored Sudan’s
encroachment and aggression in the run up to the referendum on South
Sudanese independence, in order for it run smoothly.
(ST)
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob?hl=en.