Diplomats Up Efforts To Avert War Between Sudans
Sudan and South Sudan are facing the threat of United Nations
sanctions if they fail to stop fighting along their disputed frontier
in the Horn of Africa.
04 May 2012
Diplomats Up Efforts To Avert War Between Sudans
Sudanese soldiers step on the South Sudan flag painted on a seized
tank for the Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army in Heglig last month.
[Ashraf Shazly/AFP/Getty Images]

By Ofeibea Quist-Arcton

May 3, 2012 - A unanimous U.N. Security Council resolution, which
condemns the surge of border violence, orders the two Sudans to cease
hostilities within two days and resume negotiations within two weeks.

The U.N. resolution endorses an African Union road map it hopes will
avert a return to war.

Usually reluctant to approve such texts, Russia and China both signed
up, reflecting the growing international concern over the crisis.
China, which buys much of the oil from the disputed region, is
considered particularly influential.

The African Union asked the U.N. Security Council to pass a legally
binding ultimatum, obliging Sudan and South Sudan to comply with a
peace plan to end hostilities. It also calls on them to withdraw their
troops from disputed zones and settle all outstanding disputes —
including oil revenues, the demarcation of borders and contested
oil-rich zones, and support for rival proxy rebels.

Recent Clashes

Sudan and South Sudan regularly trade accusations that each supports
the other's militia allies.

The two Sudans have three months to work through their unresolved
problems. Both have agreed to sit down and restart negotiations, yet
both Sudan and South Sudan claim the other is not interested in
genuine peace or dialogue.
Clashes flared up last month after South Sudanese forces occupied
Heglig, a large oil field that was under the control of Sudan.

The African Union, the U.N. Security Council, the White House and
others called on South Sudan to pull out its troops, which South Sudan
says it did.

Sudan says there was no withdrawal and that it chased the southern
soldiers out of Heglig.

South Sudan, where two-thirds of the region's oil fields are located,
shut down all crude oil production in January, accusing Sudan of
charging outrageous fees for use of its pipeline and confiscating
cargoes of crude.

Sudan says the South is offering a fee it considers far too small and
had stopped paying for the crude to be transported for export from
Port Sudan on the Red Sea.

The South argues that it entered Heglig to stop repeated deadly
Sudanese airstrikes on its territory.
'It's My Land'

On Thursday, South Sudan accused Sudan of renewed air attacks on the
South. There has also been global condemnation of Sudan's aerial
bombardments and the North had been told to stop them.

In the South's capital, Juba, about 200 marchers took to the streets
on Wednesday as part of a rally organized by Christian churches.
To loud cheers and ululations, one of the rally's organizers, Prophet
Abraham Chol, angrily told the crowd the U.N., the U.S. and the
African Union made a wrong move by telling South Sudan to pull out of
Heglig.

"We reject the decision by the international community, which even
America is a part of, to withdraw our army from Heglig," he said.

He says the international community's decision is unjust.

The demonstrators also shouted "Down With al-Bashir," a reference to
Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, who has been indicted by the
International Criminal Court for war crimes in Sudan's troubled Darfur
region.

Student marcher Gloria Emmanuel angrily denounced the Sudanese leader.

"Al-Bashir is just a criminal," she said. "He is just taking our
petrol, our oil, our land — by force. ... It's my land, it's my
territory, and I can't give it up for anyone in this world. I'll fight
until I get my rights."

Where Is The Era Of Peace?

It has been seven years since the end of the long civil war between
the North and South, and less than a year since South Sudan declared
independence and split from Sudan.

That landmark was supposed to herald a new era of peace and
cooperation. But many feel that critical, unresolved quarrels have
brought the two Sudans to the brink of war.

The rally stopped at the U.S. Embassy in Juba, where marchers handed a
petition to the deputy chief of mission, Christopher Datta.

He said the U.S. congratulated the government of South Sudan for
accepting the African Union's road map for peace. He added that the
conflict between the neighbors "has dragged on long enough and it's
time there is a settlement on the border and a settlement on other
issues."

Posted in: Home, Foreign Relations, Governance, Peace Documents, S.
Sudan Independence

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"South Sudan Info - The Kob" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/SouthSudanKob?hl=en.

Reply via email to