Cattle Encroachment Poses Threat: Governor
The Central Equatoria State (CES) Governor Clement Wani Konga has said that there is still continous encroachment of cattle from Jonglei pastoralists into his state, presenting threat to the socio-economic life. 18 May 2013 A picture of cattle taken in March in Yei. The authorities have been raising concerns over the movement of cattle in uncontrolled manner in the counties posing a threat to agricultural activities in the state. [Gurtong | File] By Waakhe Simon Wudu JUBA, 17 May 2013 [Gurtong] – In his speech read to legislators, executives and the judiciary at the opening of the State Assembly by the Deputy Governor Manasseh Lomole, he said the encroachment of the cattle presents a new wave of insecurity, spilling the rebellious situation in Jonglei. “The presence of cattle from Bor in many parts of CES is another serious factor of insecurity. Cattle camps are wide spread in the state, yet more are still arriving,” he said. He said because the cattle are being reared in uncontrolled manner among farming communities it “presents a serious threat to agricultural activities which is the main source of livelihood of the people of the state.” He said the issue also presents environmental hazard and threat to the entire eco-system and called for the continuous efforts of the President in sorting out the matter since it has gone out of hands at the state government levels. The cattle encroachment issue has up to date remained one of the greatest insecurity threat and a public outcry in the CES since its practice started early last year, a situation that is likely to insinuate bitter relations between communities of the two states. The cattle owners according to sources have been reported encroaching with guns. In a security consultative meeting that brought different groups of citizens from all the six counties and ended on Wednesday in Juba, the issue has been identified as critical. Jonglei has been identified by agencies as one state with serious insecurity situation increased by activities of the rebel David Yau Yau with the UN warning the issue may likely risk to become a national threat. The Jonglei State Governor Kuol Manyang Juuk had this week warned that tough measures will be taken against government officials who have issued permits for pastoralist to move into Central Equatoria State with their livestock. He said that members of Parliament in the national government have tried to advise the pastoralists so that they can get back home but they have refused, claiming that the people from Central Equatoria had welcomed them. He said he instructed the national security bureau to find out the truth about anybody who issues the permits to cattle keepers. The governor said that if the pastoralists deserted their home areas because of the insecurity they might be right adding that there is no fear the government has deployed the army to protect their property in the state. Posted in: Home, Governance -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "South Sudan Info - The Kob" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
