Jan Pazdziora wrote:
On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 12:12:20PM -0500, Jeff Ortel wrote:
8.1.11 (the one in RHEL 5) and later.
Yes, this was confirmed by Satellite Roadmap alignment.

It has been mentioned that there are advantages to using 8.2. Are there

The target is 8.1, not 8.2. PostgreSQL in RHEL 5 won't be rebased.

I didn't suggest it was 8.2. Read above ^^, I agreed that it was 8.1. Also, I posted on the wiki that it was 8.1 last week. Further, I wouldn't expect RHEL5 to be rebased.

However, It was suggested on IRC:
<snip>
Jan 14 11:54:39 <dgilmore>        jortel: 8.1 has alot of issues
Jan 14 11:54:58 <dgilmore> 8.2 is available for RHEL5 in one of teh add on channels
Jan 14 11:55:12 <dgilmore>        in fedora we had to uses 8.3 for koji
Jan 14 11:55:49 <dgilmore> autovaccumm works ok in 8.2 and pretty much properlly in 8.3
</snip>
The 8.2 might be available for RHEL5 in add on channels and wanted to be sure we left this door open and understand the differences between 8.1 and 8.2.

And
we do not want to ship our own version of PostgreSQL.

Yes (of course) we don't want to ship our own.  I never suggested that.

Even easier, since the plan is to have a separate schema directory tree containing manually maintained .sql files for managing the pg schema, we can just strip syntax not applicable to pg in these files.

I still hope that we can reach a situation when source SQL files that
do not need to be different will not be duplicated in the repository.
Having two trees and remembering to do every change in both sounds
like a mantinenance nightmare to me.

Agreed, having 2 separate trees for oracle DDL and postgres DDL will be a real pain. Hopefully, after the EDB team creates the pg files, we can revisit this having both sets of files for comparison. But for now, the consensus is that the syntax is too different.

+1. Especially the monitoring schema makes heavy use of synonyms.
Getting the schema cleaned up will be a big win.
I didn't think we still used synonyms (even in the monitoring schema), do we?

We do.