On 20/02/15 10:55, Silvio Moioli wrote:

On 19 February, 2015, at 21:28, Avi Miller <avi.mil...@oracle.com> wrote:

I found your spacewalk-test-suite here:
https://github.com/SUSE/spacewalk-testsuite-base

I was able to get this working on an OpenSUSE 13.2 VM to test a Spacewalk 2.2
instance with its repository on Oracle RDBMS 12c. Obviously that test suite is
designed for SUSE Manager, so a fair amount of tweaking is required to get it
to pass on vanilla Spacewalk, but at least a lot of test cases are already in
place, so it's just a case of tweaking the features to look for the right
text/response.

That is actually our Cucumber _integration_ test suite, which is separate from
the jUnit and Python unit test suites which you find in the main Spacewalk code
tree. I was actually referring to those unit tests in my previous message.

Pros: it actually tests the product “end to end” by driving a real browser.
Cons: it is much more work to set up and to adapt to Spacewalk wrt the unit
tests which basically work out of the box. As you mentioned our project targets
SUSE Manager currently.

I suppose a more general question is: what level of testing would be required
for you guys to be happy if I submit a pull request allowing installation on a
12.1 database?

I think we can evaluate the pull request and changes to confirm if they look sane and maybe note in release notes that community contribution to support Oracle 12 has been provided, but not tested by the core Spacewalk team.

We had no plans on providing support for 12c within Spacewalk, since PostgreSQL is our primary DB and would need to review internally for the Red Hat team on if we have resources available to run our own automation on a nightly basis that includes 12c.

I think we'd try to work with Oracle in reviewing and applying patches if they make sense and then determine if we want to officially bless it - which could be influenced by community requests/demand for it.

Regards,
Cliff

From the SUSE Manager team's perspective if your patches result in all unit
tests to run correctly and some minimal manual testing is done (setup -
register one system - patch it) then it would probably be enough, you can count
on my vote at least. We can always run the Cucumber integration test suite on
SUSE Manager nightly once the PR is approved and report any bugs afterwards.

Hth,
--
Silvio Moioli
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH