Hey all,

In light of the Fedora 30 change to retire YUM[1] and the fact that
DNF is now present in RHEL/CentOS 7 (as well as Fedora, openSUSE Leap
15, Mageia, etc.), I think we should port the last remaining things
server side that have hard dependencies on YUM to use DNF.

I did a quick grep through the codebase, and I only identified two
files that trigger a hard dependency on YUM:
* utils/depsolver.py
* backend/satellite_tools/repo_plugins/yum_src.py

Porting these to DNF should completely eliminate the hard dependency
on YUM as well as the remaining blockers to keeping the Spacewalk
server Python 2 only, which is important since Python 2 stuff is being
removed in Fedora 30, too[2].

Now, I've done a few ports of things from YUM to DNF before, so I'm
willing to help with this porting effort. I just want to make sure
that this is something you'd be willing to accept.

I don't know if you guys are still supporting RHEL/CentOS 6 based
Spacewalk servers, but EL6's EOL is next year anyway, and push comes
to shove, we can keep a copy of the old file and have the package
install the YUM version of the code only on EL6 builds.

So, what do you all think?

Best regards,
Neal

[1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Retire_YUM_3