Neal Gompa:
> Hey all,
>
> In light of the Fedora 30 change to retire YUM[1] and the fact that
> DNF is now present in RHEL/CentOS 7 (as well as Fedora, openSUSE Leap
> 15, Mageia, etc.), I think we should port the last remaining things
> server side that have hard dependencies on YUM to use DNF.

Hello,

> I did a quick grep through the codebase, and I only identified two
> files that trigger a hard dependency on YUM:
> * utils/depsolver.py
> * backend/satellite_tools/repo_plugins/yum_src.py

also
* utils/cloneByDate.py
but it isn't a big deal.

> Porting these to DNF should completely eliminate the hard dependency
> on YUM as well as the remaining blockers to keeping the Spacewalk
> server Python 2 only, which is important since Python 2 stuff is being
> removed in Fedora 30, too[2].
>
> Now, I've done a few ports of things from YUM to DNF before, so I'm
> willing to help with this porting effort. I just want to make sure
> that this is something you'd be willing to accept.

Yes, we will gladly accept patches for dnf and python3 support. I'm just
afraid there's way more than that - all the subtle differences with
print, exceptions, lists vs. iterators, bytes vs. strings vs. unicode,
etc.

> I don't know if you guys are still supporting RHEL/CentOS 6 based
> Spacewalk servers, but EL6's EOL is next year anyway, and push comes
> to shove, we can keep a copy of the old file and have the package
> install the YUM version of the code only on EL6 builds.

We still need to support RHEL6 - this is what makes difference between
an OSS project and an enterprise product ;).

> So, what do you all think?
>
> Best regards,
> Neal
>
> [1]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Retire_YUM_3
> [2]: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Mass_Python_2_Package_Removal
>
> --
> 真実はいつも一つ!/ Always, there's only one truth!

Unless there is more than one...

Regards,

--
Michael Mráka