I'm running Sendmail on a Linux server, and I currently have Spamassassin set up for my users. Since some of them are untrusting of mail filtering apps, I use individual .forward files to enable SA for users who want it. The .forward calls Procmail, and the user's procmailrc file handles the piping to sendmail, trashes messages that have a spam score of 10+, etc.

The problem I have is that we use a _lot_ of mail aliases for various things. Some of these aliases have been in place for years, and are being _pounded_ by spam on a daily basis. I've figured out that SA does not filter mail sent through aliases because Sendmail processes it directly to the list members' inboxes, bypassing Procmail. I need to find a way to work around this. What are my options?

One thing I could do is create actual user accounts for these aliases, and run SA on them, but that's annoying and inefficient. Another suggestion I found in the list archives was calling a script from the aliases file that processes the mail through SA and then delivers it to the appropriate users. That seems workable, but if someone could send me some sample code for that it would be helpful. Finally, I thought maybe I could pipe directly to SA from the aliases file, but I'm not positive that I can keep all of the code within the aliases list. For example, could I do:

info: |/usr/bin/spamassassin foo,bar,ham

where foo,bar,ham are the local user accounts that the alias is supposed to write to?

Any suggestions for how I can solve this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best regards,

Owen B. Mehegan
IT Administrator, Perseus Development Corp.
Landline: (781) 848-8100 x263
Mobile: (617) 285-1701
SurveySolutions for the Web: Winner of the PC Magazine Editors' Choice
Award