At 12:58 PM 11/11/2003, Dan wrote:
1. I know spamassassin works on a point system, but does it learn as time
goes by?

IF you use the bayes subsystem, which is on by default but untrained as well, SA will engage in some automatic learning for the bayes rules. The remaining rules are static ones, and don't learn over time, but are updated whenever a new SA version is released.

2. My compnay wants to block all swears (dont ask me why!) How can this be
done?

Write some custom rules with high scores:

body    LOCAL_SWEARWORD1        /\bf***\b/i
score LOCAL_SWEARWORD1  10.0

Substitute f*** for your favorite swear word.. Be sure to frame your swear words with \b's so you don't get bugs like blocking "analog" when looking for "anal". Also be sure each rule has a different name (ie: LOCAL_SWEARWORD2, LOCAL_SWEARWORD3, etc)

Also be sure to run spamassassin --lint after adding rules to check for typos.. SA can't complain about errors when processing mail normally.

More rule-writing tips can be found at
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mkettler/sa/SA-rules-howto.txt

3. Does anyone know of a mangament system for blocked spam? For example, the
company I am in has 200+ people in the office. Lets say someones grandmother
sends them a email with a swear (as above) and it gets blocked. how can I
get that mail to them?

You could use MailScanner and have it quarantine any spams picked up by SA.. the spams wind in a quarantine directory, and you can manually queue them for delivery if you need to pass one on. Someone else might have a better suggestion, but that's what I can think of offhand.