Thank you for this interesting discussion.  My original point was to
say that data collected on the same type of instrument and searched
against the same database with the same parameters can be analyzed
together in PeptideProphet.

I accept your point that in the case of the additional models that
PeptideProphet applies, specifically the models that deal with
features of identified peptides Number of Tolerable Termini, Number of
Missed Cleavages, etc. "leads (at some conditions) to strong
cross-talk between data and incorrect estimation of probabilities in
combined data set".  Especially, if there is reason to expect that the
quality of enzymatic digestion would vary between the two datasets.
However, if the searches are done in the same way against the same
database there is nothing that should stop one from combining
independent datasets collected on the same machine using models that
would not be expected to vary between the experiments being combined:
the search engine f-value model or the mass accuracy model which
models a feature of the instrument.

> "already "interact" with each other in real life just by virtue of the
> instrument itself"
> If you see that it is a time to call service and clear the instrument.
Core facilities run standards for this very reason.

-David